Friday, August 19, 2016

Summer in Canada



This trip was a little different than most have been: I had very few plans, zero expectations, and a whole lot of time to make up a whole lot of time spent away.  It was calm, it was hot, it was glorious. I think that was St John's, Newfoundland?  At any rate, it was spectacular Canadian scenery that can't be mirrored elsewhere.  I love it.




Naturally one of my first stops was to see these two gorgeous babies.




A detour to Spencer Smith Park...



A glorious few days with my Dad at their home in Caledonia.  I literally never thought I'd be back here but am so, so glad I got to be.  What fond memories I have of it...









Drive-by blast from the past!



Rare, cloudy sunset over W5...




The Great Bergamo Face Swap...twins


...isn't his house sublime?




I also spent quite a bit of time cleaning out garages, clearing up all my stuff.  Found some beauties in the process:










...and managed to eat at Bronzie's, Mattina's Pizzeria (pictured below) and even have a little of this:



Got back to my primary school to look around.  God, what a gorgeous place!











...and only in Canada do people wait in line for corn fresh from the fields. Love this.



Had an English reunion at Kathleen's, poolside, after we sorted out just what time it would all commence...





















Headed into Toronto to see Frank and live out a real-life dream come true: dining at Ruby Watch Co. 
















We then went for a stroll around the neighbourhood where Degrassi was born.  I love a little Canadiana, don't you?









This was during a huge heat wave in Toronto, so we barely survived, but somehow managed.  We wen to the Rooster Coffee House, where Justin Vernor always hangs out when he comes to Toronto.  Hoping for a siting, we sat for quite awhile...no no avail.  Sigh.














Going to Laura's in the city was like going home again.  We headed up to her family's cottage for a little dip in a Great Lake.  Her girls are five years old now.  Seems almost impossible that I was here five years ago, when they were just barely holding their own heads up.  Time flies... 










Classy can o' cider










One last visit...don't you just adore that Canadian flag on the door?  They're truly my favourite people xxx






...to answer your inevitable question, no, I didn't take those shorts off the whole time I was home ;)









One last look back...




Saw my Mom the day I was leaving...














And there she is...Toronto in all her glory.  Until next time...





No comments: